5 reasons you???re probably wasting time with QR codes
An interesting negative view on using QR codes. The 5 reasons being
- Not everybody has a smartphone
- The process can be confusing
- They lack cross-media functionality
- They may be too much trouble for the consumer
- A bad experience could be prohibitive
I think the challenge may be a QR code reader that works outside of the iPhone, Android, BlackBerry and Windows Phone platforms (Point 4). This article is specific to the US and UK adoption rates for smartphones are high.
Point 3 has some strength but I have seen some very effective and creative uses of QR codes which I have written blog posts on including First Great Western allowing you to download timetables. This article states the obvious when it says QR codes cannot be used on radio.
QR codes in the UK appear to be still gathering momentum.